This is one of the first recipes I started making when Bobby (my adorable husband) and I decided we were going to start this whole “kale” thing that Beyonce and the rest of the world were talking about. Eating healthy is not always fun, so I like this recipe a lot because it’s light and helps you get some greens in without wanting to die each bite.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 4 Cajun Andouille Sausages (or your preference) sliced thin*
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth (2 boxes)
- 2 cups water (play it by ear may not need)
- 2 cups kale stems removed and torn into 1” pieces (or half a bag)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
*If you are vegan, you can take out the sausage and only continue with beans and kale, maybe even add in sweet potato as a substitute for the sausage, as I’m typing this maybe next time we should just add sweet potato anyway!
Take a 3 qt or larger saucepan and
- Heat the oil in a 3 quart saucepan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add sausage and cook until browned (about 4 minutes each side). With a slotted spoon place the cooked sausage into a bowl to rest. Add a little more oil, and add the onion cooking until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mash one can of beans in a small bowl. Add mashed beans, broth, sausage, and water (if needed) to the saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in remaining beans (left whole), kale, 1 tsp. salt, and ¼ tsp. pepper. Reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer about 20 minutes, until kale is tender.
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper and serve