Nutshell: This cheat sheet will give you everything you need to know before watching Loki, the series on Disney Plus. In a nutshell, variant Loki, is the Loki in Avengers End Game that makes off with the Tessearact.
CB rating: I’m not ready to make my official rating, since I have to finish watching the entire series. I can say that after watching the first episode, I would absolutely recommend watching. I’m bias, but Marvel just doesn’t disappoint.
Rotten Tomatoes Rating: 96% on the Tomatometer! Check the full review HERE
Just when you think you can put the Marvel down, Disney goes and just pulls you right back in! For those of you who haven’t been following along, I have a serious Marvel Problem. By Marvel problem, I mean I started watching Marvel about a year ago and have become completely obsessed. You can read that story HERE.
Loki premiered on Disney Plus last Thursday, June 9. It’s a 6 episode series, and it will cover what happened to Loki when he made off with the Tesseract in Avengers: End Game.
Here is the scene:
Right out of the gate in the first episode, you follow Loki as he somehow ends up in Mongolia. Immediately he is greeted by a group of soldiers from the Time Variance Authority. Loki is given a choice, he can be erased immediately as he is now considered a “time variant” or he can help them stop a greater threat.
The Marvel Universe is vast. It is easy to get lost in all the different story lines and characters that you are introduced to in each movie. I thought it might be good to give a quick refresh of Loki’s history throughout, as I know I needed one. So here is a quick cheat sheet to give you a refresh of what has happened so far and help you know what you need to know before watching the series.
These 6 movies will recap everything you need to know before watching Loki.
- Thor: We meet Thor and Loki. They are brothers and sons of Odin. Thor gets himself in trouble with Odin, and is sent to Earth on timeout. While Thor is there, Loki finds out that he is actually not Odin’s biological son. This enrages him for some reason and he wages war on Thor and the rest of Asgard. He loses, obviously.
- The Avengers: Loki pledges allegiance to Thanos in exchange for power, typical Loki. He then uses the Tesseract to open a hole into New York City, so that he can launch his invasion on Earth. Enter the Avengers led by Nick Fury and Captain America. They are able to stop him and seize the Tesseract. Score one for the good guys.
- Thor The Dark World: This is rumored to be one of the worst of all Marvel movies. I kind of like it (I nerd out hard). In this one Thor and Loki come together against the Dark Elf Malekith after their mother is killed during an attack on the palace.
- Thor Ragnarok: This was a huge comeback for the Thor movies. This one is AWESOME! Thor and Loki have to face off against their older, extremely powerful sociopath of a sister, Hella (played by Cate Blanchett). They are trying to save Asgard, but once it seems impossible they get as many of the Asgardians as they can onto a ship. They leave Hella and the other fire monster to blow up their planet, and Thor and Loki go in search of a new home.
- Avengers Infinity War: While Thor, Loki and the Asgardians are in search of a new home, their ship gets invaded by Thanos. Thanos murders what is left of the Asgardians, and Loki takes a stand. However, he is killed and Thor is thrown into the depths of space only to fall upon the Guardians of the Galaxy (one of my favorite scenes ever).
- Avengers End Game: check the first clip up top. Where the series Loki begins.