I have an avocado problem. I love them. It’s probably too much. In our house we always have them on hand, but it drives me crazy when they turn bad on me. Especially when I just buy them fresh. There had to be a better way, a solution that wasn’t guacamole. This may be a little blasphemous to say, but how much guacamole can one girl eat? I started to search, and found a few recipes for avocado soup, and was intrigued. Over the years I have played with a few of them, and found a combination that I love! The best part about it? Is that it’s so easy to do, and helps you save those avocados that went to the dark side too soon.
To you, my fellow avocado lover- I hope you enjoy.
- 1/2 cup fat-free buttermilk
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh tomatillos (can also get them canned)
- 3/4 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 3/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 ripe peeled avocados, pitted
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded
- 2 small garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons minced red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped red onions
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 can of garbanzo beans (rinsed) or you can substitute a can of tuna or crab depending on your mood
Chop, prep your ingredients. Once you have them ready to go, throw all the ingredients for the soup into your food processor or high speed blender. Blend, add salt and pepper for taste. And that’s it!
Then get your topping ready. We love garbanzo (chick peas) beans in our house! So in a small bowl place your beans, red onions, and bell pepper. Then season with salt and pepper to taste, then sprinkle some lemon juice, a teaspoon olive oil and red pepper flakes (to your preference). Mix all together and pour a little in the middle of your soup. And there you have it, perfection.
Delicious light and easy meal! Perfect for the summer heat.